Dry skin routines usually include the following recommendations:
- Cleanse your skin once or twice a day with a moisturizing, soap-free cleanser. Never use cleansers or toners with alcohol, soaps or harsh detergents.
- After cleansing, apply moisturizer while skin is still damp to help seal moisture.
- It is best to use non-greasy moisturizers. However, as opposed to oily and normal skin types, dry skin moisturizers may contain some oil or similar hydrophobic emollients.
- If your skin becomes dry again soon after moisturizing, you may need a long-lasting moisturizer. Certain ingredients make moisturizers last longer. For example, moisturizer with milk protiens.
- Some people with dry skin may benefit from a moisturizing mask once a week.
- Use sunscreen whenever sun exposure is expected.
- Drink plenty of water. Eight glasses a day is generally recommended.
- Avoid exposure to harsh detergents, whether directly or via clothing washed in harsh detergents. Sometimes one can improve dry skin by simply abandoning the use of shower gels and/or changing the brand of laundry detergent.
Next article: Oily skin type Recommendations